Brian's Music Musings: Pixies Three

Friday, July 07, 2006

 

Pixies Three

442, Glenwood Avenuuuueeee. I can almost hear you singing the song from my blog. It was catchy, it sounded bright and fun, and it got to the top spot on several local radio station charts. Unfortunately, it competed with itself. The flipside, Cold Cold Winter, also made the charts, and the disc never had enough steam with the same side at once to be a national top 10 record. Ironically, It did sell a ton of records for the same reasons. So, what's up with the Pixies Three? I had the chance to Interview Kaye Krebs (McCool), and she is very knowledgeable and quite personable. I hope to get a web page of the group towards the end of August. I may not have all their records, but I have a good start.

The Hunter's IV page will be active either Saturday night or Sunday. Even with just one record, it should be enjoyable for you to see. My website will be the only documentation on the Internet for this group.

I finally got the Four Mints record on Choctaw. I didn't know much about the record, but have "realized" a few things since receiving it in the mail. At first, I thought the group might be associated with the Mints who recorded the same song on the Lin label from Gainesville, TX. Definitly the same song, but different recording. Most likely a different group. The Choctaw label is out of Valparaiso, Florida, and the flip is a song I associate with the Drifters, What'cha Gonna Do. The Four Mints do a respectable version, but with a twist. In fact, the twist is on both sides of the record. They use a trumpet! If you have ever heard Lulubelle Blues by Fatman Humphries with the Crows in the background, you understand trumpets in a rock and roll song.

Do you ever buy an LP just for the cover? I do once in a while. The latest aquisition was a record by VOM, Voice Of Music. The songs are not my type of music, but the cover is great. It is titled, Music To Read Road Maps By. It has two very small children on the front. One is by her "flower Stand", and the little boy is in a 1956 or 1957 kiddie car, that is a minature of the real thing. It has the classic fins of that era, and it could be a high class pedal car, or maybe it's electric? Very cool and very colorful. So, now what? I would hate to sell it. It will go in with my misc. albums.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?