Brian's Music Musings: Random thoughts

Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

Random thoughts

The Hunter's IV page has now been indexed by Google and at least one of the other major search engines. It is a unique name as a string without quotes, and as I write this, it is number one of 14 million pages. That was a great interview with Dwight Hunter, and he is a very interesting guy. If you have not had a chance to hear it, cruise over to the Hunter's IV page and check it out.

I hope to start editing my Pixies three interview with Kaye Krebs. I have fallen a bit behind as I usually do in the summer, but progress will be made! I am actually trying to set up a few more interviews, but have not confirmed any additional chats as of yet.

I have always found it interesting how records were issued with different flip sides. The Chords is a classic example of using Cross Over The Bridge upon first issue, and quickly changing to Little Maiden. It certainly reinforced which side to have the DJ's play, and I believe that is exactly why it was done. I also think there is some truth to the stories about "Bridge", Patti Page, "covering", etc. That would be a blog entry of it's own. Though lesser known, another example I found recently was the Five Playboys on Fee Bee. Pages Of My Scrapbook was the "A" side, and it was first flipped with "Love Me Right". Fee Bee then Paired Scrapbook with "When We Were Young"which was then dealt to Dot records for distribution. They must have had some action on the song in Philly, and hoped to do the same thing they did with the Del Vikings. Anyway, there are many examples, and probably almost as many stories answering the question burning in this record collector's mind.....WHY? In case you were thinking it, YES, now I have to get both versions. I'm telling you, it never ends!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?