Brian's Music Musings: Ebay, Barney Tall, and Fay Simmons

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

 

Ebay, Barney Tall, and Fay Simmons

I've got another Ebay wishful thinker for you! One of the great collectables of all time is the Larks recording on Apollo called My Reverie. The original was issued on the blue label and was on orange wax. That is a very desirable record and in mint condition it's value is upwards of 5,000.00 depending on your price guide. It was later reissued on the yellow Apollo label and on red wax. There is a guy on Ebay that has the yellow one for sale for a measly 4500.00, though he states the reserve is 5000.00. He needs to check these things out before plunking down 50 bucks for his listing. That's $5 for the insertion and $45 for the reserve fees. It's his first attempt on Ebay and it won't be a memorable one. At last glance he had over 300 "lookers", and I bet he had more than one email about his error. He is probably hanging on just in case someone makes a big mistake. I gave up emailing sellers their errors because most don't appreciate being told that they have a boot or a record with a substantially diminished value. Research your items folks! This error is the difference between a 5K plus record and a 40 dollar reissue. Check it out here.

Do you sell 78's? If so, I hope you know how to package them. It seems that many people don't realize they need some box around them. It should be a minimum of 3 inches thick, and I prefer 5 inches. I got one broken the other day and a 3/4 inch box was used. I try to tell all sellers what is best, and most listen. This was an experienced seller...but apparently not in 78's. I once got a Jive Bombers 78 in a manila envelope. Guess what? It MADE IT IN ONE PIECE!!!! Talk about miracles with the US Post Office.

I finally got a copy of the Castle Kings "You Can Get Him Frankenstein". It's not a tough record to obtain for most people, but it was for me. It is worth about double the book value of 8-10 bucks. It's a great uptempo Halloween novelty. This one really rocks. Has anyone heard their follow-up called Jeanette?

I am so far behind on my website, it may never get caught up. Here is a newsflash: I now have a copy of "It's A Sin To Tell A Lie" by Fay Simmons on VTONE. I didn't think that it even existed on the label even though the books said it did. I know better to believe everything I read, but in this case I should have. It's a promo just like the issue on Palm.

One of the updates I will need to make is on the Domino label page. I have a Barney Tall release which is supposed to be country. The seller said that the Slades were on the record, but I need to hear it, to believe it. This is Domino 907 which is one of two releases for Mr. Tall. The other was on 909. What I am not sure of is exactly what sides are on 909. The info I had on 907 is incorrect on my website, so I will fix that. Both pieces on information came from the same source (Ken Clee), and we have already clashed on what really was issued on the label. He has items that never were on the same Texas based label, but shows them that way. I will find out about Barney Tall, as the truth is out there!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?