Brian's Music Musings: The Larks, Barney Tall and more

Thursday, August 24, 2006

 

The Larks, Barney Tall and more

Well, the guy with the Larks record mentioned on my last post, didn't sell his record. Surprise! Not! Another guy has one that may be VG with a double edge warp, and you can pick it up for 5 bucks. A long ways from 5,000 clams, that's for sure.

Follow up on Barney Tall. The record is I'd Rather Be Wrong and Little Love Letters. The former is pure country, at a extremely irritatingly slow pace. Little Love Letters is actually worth the price of admission. It's a tough record to pigeonhole into a category. The Slades appear to be doing background, making it a group record. You can hear the "Steel" throughout the recording, and then the instrumental break comes up. Not only does it stay uptempo, but it sounds more like a rock and roll record with that country influence. I will let you know when it gets posted on my web site. I think you might really like this one!

I hate to tease,
but I also found another record by Kathy Lynn and the Playboys. It is great girl group rock and roll from the early 60's, and a strong two sider. Yeah, I will get it posted too!

So, If I am going through the stack of records I need to post on my website, I might as well tell you about a few more that you will be seeing. I have the Little Sylvia record from the Savoy label called "Little Boy", on a 45. The year would be 1951, and is fairly scarce in this format. The group records on Savoy bring some big bucks, but this is unlisted in most guides and would probably bring 50-100 in mint condition.

The Pentagons inaugural record called "To Be Loved" was first issued on Fleet International, before going mainstream with the Donna label. Look for the first issue on my first and second labels page.

I have a few new Turbans records to add, including an odd reissue on Sphere Sound, a promo on Herald and an unreleased one-sided demo recording that would have been waxed for Roulette, but must have been ditched at the last minute. I always have liked the Turbans, and you can see many of their records on my Turbans page.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?