Brian's Music Musings: Blue Belles on Peak, Ted Newman on Quality

Sunday, October 29, 2006

 

Blue Belles on Peak, Ted Newman on Quality

Just when I think I know something about music, I find out I don't...and may be the last one on earth to know about the Blue Belles. If you have heard I Sold My Heart To The Junkman by the Blue Belles, well, it's really the Starlets. They had a minor early 60's hit with "Better Tell Him No". Thinking I was straight, I realized I had more to learn. The Starlets had a 1957 record on the Peak label, though I have not confirmed it was the same group. A label looking like the same Peak organization, issued the Blue Belles song. with a picture sleeve on a different number series, and was # 7042. My guess is that the record on Peak is a second label, and the Newtown release was the first. Why Peak released it is hard to say, especially with the picture sleeve. Maybe it was the same method that Tap records had with the Crescendos, and other Power records with the Penguins.

I found a 78 of Plaything by Ted Newman. This was on the Canadian Quality label. I know I have seen the 45, so I will hunt it down next.Ted recently sent me a CD copy of an album he did called "I've Been To Town". It's a folk album of sorts, and as is much of his later material, much different than his rock and roll records.

In the mail (To Me, Of Course) is an interesting LP that will go with my ever expanding Rockin Rebels page. An LP by Big John Little and the Hot Toddies, will get a picture of at least Big John Little who was associated with the song Rockin Crickets. Check out the linked page above to get the current full story.

Last night was the Halloween show on my radio program on KVMR. All the weird stuff came out and I got it out of my system....once again. I am constantly amazed at just how strange some records are, even dating back to the late 50's. I'm not talking about the flying saucer records, but odd records like Randy Luck's Cave Man, which probably could not be aired today. Graveyard Rock, by Tarantula Ghoul is just bizarre. Next week: Back to the vocal group, oldies and straight ahead rock and roll on KVMR-FM!.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?