Brian's Music Musings: Pixies 3, record finds and Discoveries magazine

Monday, October 02, 2006

 

Pixies 3, record finds and Discoveries magazine

I'm back and ready to write! I have been on vacation, so it was not for lack of interest.
My last radio show featured an interview with Kaye Krebs of the Pixies Three. It was fun, and I was able to play many of their records. I am still waiting for feedback from Kaye, but hope she liked it. She was very informative and the interview actually lasted over 40 minutes. I cut it back to 28 minutes which is still a lengthy interview for radio. But, that is why I am doing this, to inform and entertain. I hope to make it available on my website later this month.

I also had an interview with Vince Castro, which is available on my website. That was done the week before the Pixies. He is doing well in retirement, and currently lives in the Bronx. He is a very nice guy, and I believe he may just cut a CD if he sets his mind to it. He is singing mostly standards, and sounds good doing it. I also added a couple of pictures of him to my site.

Amongst my latest discoveries is a record by Gil (Quesada) and Ray on the Cam label. The plug side appears to be Malaguena which is backed with "Marty, The Life Of The Party". The "A" side is Spanish, the flip is in English. Quesada worked with Rosie Hamlin on her Wax World release in 1973 .

How about Baldemar Huerta (Freddy Fender) on a red vinyl Falcon label release. This label was from Mission Texas. He sings Don't Be Cruel and Ay Amor in Spanish. These were before he recorded his first English sides in 1959.

And I couldn't pass up "Brian" by Anita Carter. OK, so a long way from doo wop, but I saw my name on a record other than "Brian's Song", and I had to buy it! I will go through a few more of my recent arrivals on my next blog entry.

If you subscribe to the record collecting magazine called Discoveries, you just got your last issue. A magazine that had some really good stories and features in it's lengthy run of 221 issues, Discoveries has called it quits. In retrospect, they probably should have folded by summer, or earlier, as many of the advertisers jumped ship and the editor resigned. The last issue was a scrawny attempt at closing out an impressive history of great articles. If you have subscription time remaining, you will get Goldmine to finish it off. I subscribed to Goldmine many years ago, but became disillusioned with the lack of roots rock and roll and doo wop coverage. Unless I am rather pleasantly surprised, I doubt that I will have any reason to continue with Goldmine. This leaves many holes in the record collecting world. Advertisers either go to Goldmine or lose their audience, readers have one less source for records, and we have one less source for information. Life does go on. Consider a publication called "Echoes Of The Past". Contact them at echoespast@msn.com It's a quarterly magazine at 14.99 per year.

I do collect the Orioles 78's. My collection is not complete yet, but one of these days I will have them all! While looking on Ebay, I continue to see one listing. At first I thought it was a mistake, but after a few months, it has stayed the same. The price is a bit excessive, but I hate to tell the lister. They might actually think it's worth it! It's Jubilee 5016, Forgive And Forget. I love the line in their ad, "This record is in good condition with minimal scratching, however, we would be happy to double check to see that it will play with no problems" The price? A measly 650.00! Can I get two of those?
Ebay Link:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?