Brian's Music Musings: Record grades and more

Sunday, October 22, 2006

 

Record grades and more

One of the more common record grades I am seeing on Ebay and other listing sites is VG/VG+ or "between VG and VG plus. That's the grade. Maybe I am from the old school, and it is either one or the other, not both. You can have a strong VG record, and I think it's OK to list it as strong, but it's still VG. It's the type of VG record I like to own. But, when you consider the grade, there is a bit of leeway to stay within the VG listing, without a plus or minus. Once you state it is VG+, that leeway is minimal, and the record is a desirable condition to have. The price of this grade is certainly higher than VG, but even prices have made quite a radical change over the past 8 or 10 years. The gap between VG and mint is huge. It used to be VG was 50 per cent of mint, VG+ was 75 per cent of mint. These days, mint records can go as much as 2 times or more of book value. Some VG records go around 30 per cent of mint, etc. On my budget, I buy VG records, just so that I can own them in a decent condition.

I remembered an interesting Ebay item I saw, but it was from around 2 months ago, and is no longer in the searchable database. The reputable dealer had a Teen Queens ACE reissue album from the mid 80's for sale. Since he specializes in autographs, it had an "Authentic" autograph of both Rosie and Betty. When I emailed him the fact they had both died about 15 years earlier then the LP release, he didn't respond, but replaced the cover with a picture of the generic sleeve, with the SAME STYLE autographs. I didn't take it any further, but you can bet I will think twice about buying from him, and the authenticity of his autographs. Actually, that would be true anytime you buy records or autographs from someone.

I located a decent copy of J. Frank Wilson's Last Kiss on the Tamara label. I should try and get that up on my first and second labels page. I actually have a list of some additional examples I have found in my collection, but time is always the sticking point on my progress.

Talked with Ted Newman recently, via email. He sent a CD copy of an LP he did in the 80's called "I've Been To Town". Nothing like his 1950's recordings, but good work by a really nice guy.

Have you seen the book series called "The R+B Indies"? Originally, it was a two volume set of record labels from A-Z. They have done extensive research (Again), and now have expanded it into a four volume set. If you are into labels like I am, the books are quite good. I now have the first volume, and it covers just A to D, but over 650 pages worth of record labels and discographies for your viewing pleasure. That is the good news. The bad news is that you have to empty your wallet to obtain them. Each edition is 81.00 plus shipping, so you will have to hold off buying that Five Keys record on Aladdin. I think I will add the next volume to my Christmas list. When finished, there will be a total of four books.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?