Brian's Music Musings: Buying VG records, value etc

Friday, December 15, 2006

 

Buying VG records, value etc

So, you love the music, but when it comes down to it, you ARE a record collector. Well, I Am, so maybe that is what I assumed you might be. If you have been around the hobby long, you know that values are always tied to condition, and the range of values has increased between, say a VG record and a Mint- disc. The Mint - disc could easily sell over the high book price on a desirable slab of wax. In years past, the VG record would fetch 50 % of book value, but no more. It often comes in around 30 % or slightly higher. The gap continues to widen. What to do?

I AM a collector. I want the record! So I buy nice VG records. I rarely go below that grade, as I don't want to collect beat up crap. If it is exceedingly difficult to locate (Some folks overuse the "R" word here - Rare) then I will shake a few coins loose if the price is right. I will not pay exorbitant prices for the mint grade. I actually do play my records!

That of course begs the question, are you hoarding for the sake of owning the vinyl, or are you collecting for investment value and future resale? Maybe both? I think I lie somewhere in the middle of the two. I would love to have the resale value in the records, but I am driven to collect. And, since I rarely sell much except duplicates, someday those records will be in the hands of my estate. No worries for me!

I have not bought too much lately. Well, I always say that. I got a nice copy of the Bellboys LP on Mercury. I obtained my second record on Mercury by the Miller Brothers. "If I Had A Car" has been a favorite of mine for years. "Let Me See You Smile is the "B" side of a double sided ballad. After adding the Jackpot Page, I actually found another record by Biggie McFadden. Real pop sounding, but there's a great voice behind the microphone. Vido Musso blowin' the sax on Crown, Thunderbirds with a fair outing on G.G. , and a missing 78 for my Gene and Eunice page. I need to add that this weekend.

Just uploaded a Christmas show on RockitRadio. A regular show will follow that, likely in the last week of December. On KVMR, I plan to play a few Christmas songs this Saturday, and an all Christmas show on the 23rd. I just love that show. maybe because it's just once a year. There really were a bunch of great Christmas songs made, and many I still have never heard.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?