Brian's Music Musings: How do you quote book price?

Thursday, December 21, 2006

 

How do you quote book price?

Maybe it's just me, but I am seeing a trend on Ebay of quoting book prices incorrectly. Sure, we can all discuss the true value of a record 'till the cows come home, but, at least we need to understand the very basics of book value. The issue I see are sellers quoting high book value for their VG or less record. If you are insistent on quoting the high book, your record needs to be worthy of that high book. Folks, it's not apples and oranges. To reverse the idea, if you have a VG record, don't quote what it WOULD be worth if life was sweet and it was mint. That gives a false impression of what you really have. It just seems to annoy me, and is another way to mislead potential buyers.

Reissues have always been very interesting to me in theory, but not so much in collecting vinyl. i certainly have my share, but normally I don't go looking for them. Many are difficult to trace, as they were low production and often very shady on origin. Frankly, some were just this side of being boots. But what fun they are to trace. Anyway, Wham records of New Jersey was one of those mid 60's reissue labels. I finally got a copy of the Hollywood Arglyes Alley Oop on that label, with the picture sleeve. It sold for 98 cents back then, and had Phil Flowers on the flip. To me, records like this are what continues to make record collecting fun and at a decent price. Just like the VG records discussed in the last post.

Now that the Johnnie And Joe CD has been released by ACE, I think I will work on adding some additional label shots to my page. I still have a ways to go, as they had quite an output of recordings into the 70's and on Ambient sound in the 80's.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?