Brian's Music Musings: Class black label 78

Friday, March 23, 2007

 

Class black label 78

I have a few Class label 78's. The label from Los Angeles started near the end of 1952, and had a ton of great artists in it's roster, including Oscar McLollie. Some of the later releases on 78, can be a bit tough to find. Eugene Church and Pretty Girls's Everywhere, is one, and certainly his follow-up, Miami, is difficult to find. I show the Oscar McLollie maroon 78 in his duet with Jeanette Baker, "Let Me Know, Let Me Know" on the McLollie page, and I will be adding a black label 78 this next week of the song.
Sometimes it's really easy to think too hard about first and second labels. What actually constitutes a second label? What if that label was a few years after the original? I think it is still the second label. Case in point: The Rivileers had a great record on baton 200 called "1000 Stars". The original was backed with "Hey Chiquita" and actually got some good regional play for the Rivileers in several major markets. That was 1954. The same label brought it back again as Baton 241 and flipped it with "Who is That Girl" in 1957. The 3rd incarnation was on the "Dark" label, which also used number 241, which technically is the second label, but the third issue of the record. It also carried the same baton numbers - like BA-5301/5306. Anyway, I will be adding it to my first and second label page.
I have added 2 new shows to the radio shows page. I may add last week's show when I get a chance. Speaking of shows, tomorrow will feature an interview with Joyce Harris. She has some great records, did some writing and is alive and well. I will also be updating my page with some new information.
On it's way in the mail to me, is a later pressing of the J Frank Wilson recording of Last Kiss on Lecam. Again, referencing my first and second label page, I have the original Lecam and then the second label shown. This odd one is a light blue lecam with scrolly fonts and they title it "The Original" Last Kiss. Definitely a later issue, but I'm not certain what the exact story is....Yet!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?