Brian's Music Musings: Russ Hallett, Roy Tann, Rosie Hamlin

Sunday, June 10, 2007

 

Russ Hallett, Roy Tann, Rosie Hamlin

I had an entertaining discussion by telephone with Russ Hallett of the Russ Hallett trio. They are the guys that created the first jingle for Tom Shannon's show on WKBW. Though I am working on a website update to my Rockin Rebels page, it may not be done until the end of this month. This interview combined with the Mickey Kipler interview, certainly paint a different story than most people are used to. I am planning to have the Kipler interview on my radio show June 23rd.
Another take on the soundexchange fiasco, and projections of how much money they stand to make is here. And yet another (short) article that is very interesting. It makes you realize the power of Soundexchange over all artists.
I have to do a little research on Roy Tann. He has a distinctive voice, and besides Isabella, he made a few other records including Hot Rod Queen and Your Drivers License Please. His first record was on the Tan label before Dot picked it up. I wonder if there were others on a different label besides Dot? I just show those three on Dot.
I came up with a somewhat different design of the Scarlet label. For my website, the Crescendos had two records on the label. Strange Love/Let's Take A walk is on a white and red label, instead of the red and black colors as show on my Crescendos page. I will add that one soon.
This just in: A show is being put together for the benefit of Rosie Hamlin of Rosie and the originals. It is scheduled for July 8th at Pearson park in Anaheim from 5 pm to 8 or 9 with acts like Jewel Akens, Tony Allen, Virgil Johnson of the Velvets, Jimmy Pipkin of the Gallahads, Al Wilson, Thee Midniters and many more. The Storytellers have released a recording called "Rosie" as a tribute to her, and I am trying to get my hands on a copy.

Comments:
Sad to hear of Gene Pitney's passing last week. 65, and still performing - actually happened right after a concert in the UK. An amazing voice has been silenced for the future, but we still have dozens of great recordings to remember him by. What's your favorite and why?
Well,I must start with "IF I DIDN'T HAVE A DIME"....followed by "LOUISIANA MAMA","TRUE LOVE NEVER RUNS SMOOTH"(THE MUSIC IN THIS JUST ABOUT PUTS ME IN A TRANCE!)
THERE ARE JUST TOO MANY GREAT PITNEY SONGS!!!!
AND OF COURSE HIS WRITING ABILITY FOR OTHER ARTISTS,INCLUDING Paul Greewood's "OUTSIDE HEAVEN'S DOOR"
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?