Brian's Music Musings: Tradewinds, and other recent records

Sunday, August 19, 2007

 

Tradewinds, and other recent records


Every now and then, I come across a record that is a surprise. A pleasant one. Taking a chance on buying records you don't know, is an interesting business. Most really don't turn out the way you hoped, and it's not for the lack of trying to put all the information together beforehand. Maybe it's the label, the writer, or the song title that sparks your interest. Since you can't find out enough to know what it sounds like, you end up forking over the dough and hoping you found a good one. OK, so this is not the Flamingos, Orioles or any of the other amazing harmony groups, but it has a great sound. Who would have guessed it on the Magnolia label. That label is best know by me as the one that launched Johnny Standley's "It's In The Book", a comedy record from the early 1950's. Anyway, I can't confirm the exact release date, but it's a very pleasing record. If anything, I wish the vocals on the background group could have been brought up a little. If you have ever heard 8 O' Clock Date by the Gorman sisters, that is another record where the group should have been recorded much higher. Take a listen to "What Can I do", by James Austin and the Tradewinds, and I think you will like it.
.
I have been in a buying mood as of late. The Quarternotes on Bison will make the first and second pressings page this next week. Other items of interest include the Colts on Antler. This is the Guiding Angel/Shiek Of Araby recording. That is certainly the toughest Antler of the two they recorded for the label. I suppose my collecting habits are scattered at best, and many may never appear on my pages. I continue to collect a few records from the Lin label out of Gainesville Texas. "The Fickle Chicken" is a very cool instrumental by the Atmospheres. Next week I will list several additional records that I couldn't live without!
.
I finally got the chance to hear "You", not by the Aquatones, but Gale Storm on Dot. It sounds about like you think it would. I just had to buy the record to listen to it. OK, so I do have odd buying habits, besides being scattered as previously mentioned.
.
Got a CD in the mail from a group based in the UK. They are called the Firebirds. Maybe you have heard of them? I love the uptempo rock and roll, and that is what they seem to specialize in. The CD I was sent is called Doo Wop Volume one. It has some great recordings on it, though not all exactly Doo Wop. Nonetheless, I didn't think there was a bad one - or even mediocre track of the 16 included on the CD. Check out their website here.
.
I have not read anything amazing in the Soundexchange battle over Internet radio. I did read an interesting article about a lady in Oregon that was sued by the RIAA for illegal downloading. The RIAA lost, and now that lady is counter suing. It's the second part of the article here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?