Brian's Music Musings: Allan Copeland, Debra records, Story Tellers, Janis Martin

Sunday, September 09, 2007

 

Allan Copeland, Debra records, Story Tellers, Janis Martin


So, how many Arwin 78's are there? I think most people know that Jan and Arnie's, Jennie Lee from 1959, came out on a Arwin 78, number 108. Pictured to the left is Allan Copeland and the Hot Rodders with a song called Crack The Whip. I get the feeling the song may not be completely appropriate today, it is an interesting mix of sounds. There is an orchestra along with a somewhat pop sounding lead, and a group that is trying to sound like a rock and roll group. There is also a nice saxophone in the break, along with some great "whip" effects. It actually sounds pretty good. It must have sold a few copies to have been issued as a 78. Anyway, now I wonder how many different 78' record numbers the Arwin label pressed? I will post the flip side on next week's blog. You can hear more of the big band influence.
.
Back in July I mentioned some of the variations of the Debra release of Chapel Bells. Related, the Debra release of "Sweet Dreams/Stop Leading Me On also has a promo copy, and is posted on the Debra records page. I don't automatically make the assumption that any record label sent out clearly marked promotional copies, until I see them or have good evidence they were pressed. In this case, the label was white, it was clearly marked "Promotional Copy", and had a sticker on the label.
.
Last night I ran the interview with Al Sanchez of the Story Tellers group from Los Angeles. I played the record they had originally - You Played Me A Fool -, and then played most of his Classic Artists label sides. What a great sound that group has, and continues to enjoy. I hope to have a small page on my site this month of the Story Tellers, and the interview.
.
Janis Martin passed on last Monday. You have probably heard the news. She was billed as the next Female Elvis. Maybe she didn't quite get to that status, but she did issue a ton of great records. I still think my favorite is "Barefoot Baby". I need to see about getting a CD of all her work. Here is a site run by her granddaughter, and is informative.





Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?