Brian's Music Musings: Orioles,Fay Simmons and Timely

Sunday, September 16, 2007

 

Orioles,Fay Simmons and Timely

I have just added a new page on my website,featuring the supergroup, the Orioles. It features many of their Jubilee 78's and about 50 sound files. Sonny Til and the Orioles were an awesome group that enjoyed tremendous success and were voted into the hall of fame, as well they should have been. Check it out.
.

I will be adding a stock copy of Fay Simmons record on the Palm label, It's A Sin To Tell A Lie/Where Is My Love. It's not a rare record, but I have seen so many promotional copies, and this is the first yellow stock issue that I have run across. I hope to add more information about Simmons to the page in the future.
.
OK collectors, I need some help. Well, it's more that I am very curious about an ebay listing I saw the following write-up and am doubting it's authenticity. i just can't completely prove it. The text in the listing says:
In late 1954 (November/December) the Timely record label issued the Charmers’ I Was Wrong/The Mambo (Timely 1009) on 78 and 45. In late spring of 1955 Timely released their last record by the Charmers’ The Church on the Hill/Battle Axe (Timely 1011) on 78 and promo red vinyl 45s. The Apollo record label bought the independent Timely label in the summer of 1955 and the stock commercial copy of the 45 was cancelled due to Apollo’s ownership of the label.
.
I have seen dead wax info for many Timely label records and have just one of them myself, but the common theme is that there is a 3 digit number that starts with the number 5, in some configuration, in the dead wax. The red vinyl releases were not promotional, and in fact in the case of #1002, it was only issued on red vinyl. 1011 I thought was just on black wax. I think the info in the listing is a pipe dream, and someone bought a $200.00 boot. Anyone have an opinion on that?
.
I'm working towards an interview with two members of the New York group, the Impaks. They made just one record that was released, and of course, there are stories. I hope to have that interview towards the end of the month or beginning of October. It was released on the express label, which was part of the Fargo "Empire".

A couple of additions. Here is the link to hear the other side of the record from last week's post called Rock Candy Baby.

Also, another radio show segment has been added for you to hear. It's located here.


Comments:
I'm inclined to believe that the Charmers record is a bootleg as well, Brian. There's something about the overall appearance that doesn't seem real, especially the center hole wear that seems too clean. The horizontal lines are troublesome too. On top of that, Lou Silvani's COLLECTING RARE RECORDS states that the disc was issued in 78 RPM format only. I'm sure he would have noted the existance of red wax 45 examples if there were any. By no means an authority on the Timely label myself, I'm inclined to accept Silvani's data and my perception of how I see the disc.

Fred Clemens
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?