Brian's Music Musings: Story Tellers, Joey Norman, Richard Barrett, Poni Tails

Sunday, September 23, 2007

 

Story Tellers, Joey Norman, Richard Barrett, Poni Tails

Hopefully, today I will have a web page on-line for the Los Angeles group called the Story Tellers. They made just one vintage record with the original group, and I have two of the three they cut for the Classic Artists label in the late 80's early 90's. The page may be short, but the history will be there along with an interview with leader Al Sanchez. Their record You Played Me A Fool, got some airplay in the Los Angeles area, but was not a major hit.
.
One of the very few remaining records that are not in my personal collection, has dropped by one, and I think totals three now. Joey Norman's release of Heart Of Mine backed with The King Of Fools, was added to my stacks. For my website, I actually borrowed the label shots from Joey Norman himself. It is all part of my Altones/Beverly Hills Painters page. It is an interesting story of music from the Los Angeles area.
'
I have a new first and second pressings record to add to my page. It is Richard Barrett singing the Fleetwoods record Come Softly To Me on the Orchid label. It was soon taken over by Gone records, but still only got to the charts in limited markets. This is not the same Orchid label that Vince Castro recorded on, in the Bronx. Barrett's record came out in late 1958, and the Castro record showed up in 1960. This should be added to my page this week.
.
From the Homer Simpson "Duh" department, I finally realized that the Poni Tails that sang Born Too Late, were actually called the PONY tails, when their record first came out. I have the stock ABC copy that is spelled that way, and have seen the promo showing it too. It happens to be their second release, the first being It's Just My Luck To Be 15. My copy of their first record uses Poni, so it appears to be an error just on Born Too Late, that was quickly corrected. I suppose if I was a young kid singing in a group, I would not want to have my group name associated and shown as near the rear of a horse!




Comments:
Brian:

How true about pony tails. Back in the day, a standing wisecrack used to be:

Q. Whaddaya find under a pony tail?

A. A horse's a**!!!

Laughing all the way,
Gino
 
Regarding the Richard Barret Orchid release, what's with the "(G-601)" at the bottom, the same found on the GONE issue? The label itself has a GONE look about it too. Are you sure it isn't a second issue?

Fred Clemens
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?