Brian's Music Musings: Halloween,Tazmen, Fay Simmons

Sunday, October 21, 2007

 

Halloween,Tazmen, Fay Simmons

Next week is my annual Halloween show on KVMR FM. I usually go beyond the call of just Halloween, and play a few very odd records, as well as some of the usual holiday 45's. Of course, I play many out of the ordinary songs, too. Every year I add a few more to my collection, in spite of the statement in last weeks blog about the discs becoming more expensive.
.
Who are the Tazmen? I found a nice instrumental called "The Chicken" on the Taz label. It appears to have also been issued on ABC, and there are a couple of additional Taz releases. I see a reference about Joe Rumoro on guitar, but that's it. The Taz label was out of Chicago.
.
I see a new CD of Fay Simmons has been issued. No info on her is known, or at least made known to me yet. I have not even been able to find a picture of her. The CD says R&B Mystery woman, and I couldn't agree more.
.
I finally have another radio show on Rockit Radio. I just don't get them produced as often as I would like. When I do, I send two shows, and it is usually a couple of months before the next shows are posted. Rockit Radio now has an agreement with a radio station in Belleville, Illinois (Metro East), where the shows will be re-broadcast. That should be interesting. And, to have an AM radio station playing some fairly obscure tracks, is a step in the right direction for the medium. We hope to also get some exposure for Rockit in the Metro East area.
.

Comments:
Hi Brian,
You might be interested in the article/podcast I did on Fay Simmons, which as you'll note, I used you as a primary source. The only other new (new to me, at least) piece of information I was unable to uncover on Simmons is that she was in one of New York DJ Tommy Smalls' - known on the air as Dr. Jive - legendary Apollo Theater shows in March 1960. Simmons shared the bill with the Emeralds, the Coasters, the Isley Brothers, Jimmy Reed, the Cruisers, and the Clickettes. The show was so successful it was held over for a second week.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?