Brian's Music Musings: Halloween,Johnny Flamingo, Lin records,Travelers

Sunday, November 04, 2007

 

Halloween,Johnny Flamingo, Lin records,Travelers

Even though it is after Halloween, I am still buying a few additional records that fit the theme. A few have been what I consider somewhat standard, if you are a hardcore collector. The Upperclassmen/Cha Cha With The Zomies, and the Johnson Brothers with Zombie Lou. Not so standard is Paul Peek with the Riddle of The Papahoos. A bit of a stretch, but seems to fit in. Also not as common is Baron Daemon on the WYNS New York TV label with the Transylvania Twist. Gathering Halloween records is a year-round job.
.
In my continuing effort to collect Johnny Flamingo, I came up with United/I Just Cry on Malynn. There is at least one or two other labels those songs came out on. I'm still looking for the Dub Tone and Donna records, and probably a couple of others I don't know about. Actually, if you use Rockin Records as a guide, they are short several listings, so I will need to update them.
.
One of my many record collecting "problems" is that I have too many interests. I just can't keep up with all the directions I want to go. One of those interests includes upstate New York records. That includes Rochester and Buffalo. The latest add to the Rochester collection is the Key Notes, with a great instrumental called Tuff E Nuff Baby, on the Rochester Lin label. That Lin has nothing to do with the Gainesville Texas Lin outfit. Texas Lin spanned 1956 to 1964 and issued around 50 records. Rochester Lin had 4 or 5 releases that I know of, in 1958. I suspect they could have shut down when they discovered the other Lin label. I don't know that for sure, and let's face it - there were no easy Internet searches in 1958 to confirm your label name was unique!

.
I bought my third of four releases by the Travelers on the Andex label. They were also the Pilgrim Travelers on the same label, and had a bunch of issues as that well known gospel group. This record, as do the other two I have, exhibit a definite gospel influence on a secular record. Although both sides, "I Go For You" and "I'll Always Be In Love With You" are good sides, I think I prefer the other two discs. The last one I need to find is "I'll Be Home For Christmas / Katie The Kangaroo. It is their last one for the label as the Travelers. Did I mention I am also a Christmas record collector?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?