Brian's Music Musings: Barny Tall, Rusty Bryant,Connie Conway

Sunday, December 02, 2007

 

Barny Tall, Rusty Bryant,Connie Conway


I just posted the second of two Barny Tall releases on my Domino records page. For some reason, I never caught that there was no "E" in Barny, and have corrected that over-site. I believe this to be the last Domino label release I need for the page. I am still missing a few inserts, but have a fairly complete representation of the label output. The plug side for the record is called "I'm Only Human". It is an old Texas country classic of sorts, and is played quite a bit by other artists, especially those playing old time country material. The flip is actually very good as well. "Fleeting Love" is a song that probably could have had airplay on most any station back in the early 1960's. After all, many of the rock and roll stations played quite the variety back then - pop, R+B, some blues, rock and roll, etc. Fleeting love is not heavy on the country twang, and I think the record should have been flipped. What is it that say about hindsight and 20/20?
.
Although it seems he just had a few smokin' hot rock and roll instrumentals, Rusty Bryant is certainly too often overlooked. While shuffling through a stack of vinyl last week, I was reminded of just how good he was. Hot Fudge/Ridin With Rusty on the Dot label, makes me want to find more of his early work on Dot and a release on Carolyn (Castle Rock). There is a big gap in his recorded output after the late fifties, which took him to 1970 with a considerable amount of jazz records he recorded on the Prestige label. Not to mention all the sessions he was blowing on for other artists.
.
I always find it interesting to talk to an artist about their experiences, and have them drop a name that I have never heard of. That happened when I spoke to Ruth Elliot, who was one of the voices behind Ted Newman on his recording of Plaything. She did a lot of recording with local artists, and commercials that were aired locally. One of the artists she mentioned was the late Connie Conway. Naturally, I have to go on a search to learn about him, and found he recorded at least five singles and an LP. In that same stack of records previously mentioned, one of his two 45's on Jamie showed up, and I had that "light bulb" moment of recognition. "Can It Be" backed with "Nothing Is Forever" is definitely a pop song, but pleasant to hear. Even if I don't search out the rest of his discs, it is so much fun to make the connections.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?