Brian's Music Musings: Elgins,Five Stars, Doctor and the Monks

Sunday, December 30, 2007

 

Elgins,Five Stars, Doctor and the Monks


Sometimes you have to have a record to understand why things are the way they are. The Elgins released a record on the Los Angeles based Titan label called Extra Extra. They flipped it with "My Illness". Apparently, the title was a little rough, so they pressed the record again with Heartache,Heartbreak (My Illness). Same song, just a more friendly title. Until I actually got the record,I didn't realize that just the title had been changed. The Elgins released several records, including one as the Elements, and several of the discs can be seen on my Elgins page. They are still active, with the original members that are still with us. They do perform in Northern California on occasion and have also been know to travel to Modesto for a show or two.
.
I also added a picture of another Five Stars group to my page of the same title. There are so many groups with that name, that I may never find them all. The latest addition is an early 70's gospel/funk band from Maryland. Sound files will be added soon. Check out my page and watch the video of the Five Stars group that recorded on the Blues Boy Kingdom label.
.
If you are a Chipmunks fan like I am, maybe you have heard of the Doctor And The Monks. That is the title of the song on the Tip Top label, and the artist is listed as simply the Tip Top Band. It is a straight rip-off of the well know Chipmunks, and instead of Alvin, they use Elvis. It is certainly not as well produced, or too original, but is one of several records that used the then familiar high speed voices, once the Chipmunks turned out to be so popular. Although I have no sales figures to prove it, the disc is probably one of the tougher "Chipmunk imitation records" to find.
.
Have a safe and happy New Years celebration, and I look forward to sharing my music musings with you in 2008.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?