Brian's Music Musings: Hi-Tones, Johnnie and Joe, the Rebs

Sunday, December 09, 2007

 

Hi-Tones, Johnnie and Joe, the Rebs


It seems as though there must be an unlimited number of variations of the Shytones / Hi-Tones record called Lovers Quarrel and flipped with Just For You. Without doubt, this release had the most copies pressed, yet it's hard to tell how big of a seller it was on the east coast. My latest addition to the Shytones page is another white label promotional copy. The difference this time is that the label reads "Promotion Copy" instead of "Radio Station Copy". All the other label information seems identical. Go figure. This hobby of record collecting is "difficult", especially when you need to collect all the variations know to man - and some that are unknown.




I admit to having a long road ahead with my Johnnie and Joe page but it is a journey worth taking. There were a lot of records that were issued by the duo - in a few different iterations - and the range of release dates started in 1956 and continued into the 1970's. I have found very few 78's that were pressed. Shown on my page are two on the Chess label, and one so far on J+S. I suspect there may be a couple more, but they are limited. I recently added the 45 on J+S of their first recording of "Feel Alright" backed with "I'll Be Spinning". It's not a difficult record to find, just elusive. I don't know for sure if there was a 78 of record. I suspect not, only because I think Zell Sanders had her hands full trying to fund the demand for the 45 edition, so that may be the only format she could afford before making an agreement with Chess. At Chess, they waxed up a 78, as shown on my page. I may never get all the Johnnie and Joe records, but I plan to have a really good representation by the end of 2008.
.
I mentioned a great instrumental by Rusty Bryant in my last blog entry, this time I need to mention a group called the Rebs. They recorded "Bunky" flipped with my preference called "Renegade". The only reason I bought it, besides the price, is that the flip featured Jackie Kelso on sax. Kelso played sax on a bunch of recordings in the Los Angeles area, and worked with Johnny Otis as well. He has a great style and is very enjoyable on this two sided instrumental. My copy is on Capitol, and I know it was issued on Capitol for the UK. My books only list this one recording by the Rebs, so I will need to dig and find out if there are more

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?