Brian's Music Musings: Hippo news, Christmas, more Christmas

Sunday, December 16, 2007

 

Hippo news, Christmas, more Christmas

Ebay alert: Anybody want a hippopotamus? You can buy it now for 224.75. Wait a while, and you can steal it for 199.75. The Gayla Peevy (Peevey) record in question is on a Columbia 45. Just when I thought that must be a misprint, I saw this guy selling it for 350.00 In my opinon, this record is worth about 10 bucks. I have seen them sell in the range in years past. I think this is an example of a seller or two mentioning how rare the record is, "impossible to find" and buyers believing it. It was also featured on a commercial in Canada for Internet service, and got increased airplay. It reportedly sold over 300,000 copies originally, so if you need a copy, wait for the frenzy to die down. What I would like to know is what label was it issued on locally in Oklahoma City, before Columbia picked it up?
.
Tis the season, for Christmas records. And yes, I am still looking at Halloween records. Be that as it may, the latest Christmas record I purchased was the Blue Notes on Val-ue. Not a difficult record to find, but just another one on my list - now off that list. If you look through Christmas listings on Ebay, you will see thousands. I have a search string that looks for specific key words, and my list was around 4500 results returned. If nothing else, it keeps me very busy, checking out all that information. I have always insisted that besides buying records, I learn a lot about records I don't buy, whether it's on-line or in a record store.
.
Run Rudolph Run, has always been a Christmas favorite of mine. Copies of the 45 are pretty easy to find, whether it's the original Blue Chess, or later pressings that were made to keep up with the seasonal demand. My favorite press is the red and yellow "Review" copy, that is one of those later issues. It seems somewhat Christmasy with it's colors and green lettering. If they had only added a few Christmas graphics like some of the RCA Christmas issues, it would have really stood out.


Next week on KVMR, it's the annual Christmas show. If I have done my math correctly, this will be my 21st holiday radio program. I usually go back to my previous two play lists, and make sure I play some discs that were not on them, along with some of my favorites. I also have a Christmas show running right now on http://www.rockitradio.net


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?