Brian's Music Musings: Pixies,Jo-Ann Campbell,Ronney Scalair

Sunday, January 13, 2008

 

Pixies,Jo-Ann Campbell,Ronney Scalair


Just added to my page of first and second pressings is the record shown by the Pixies. From what I know, they were a Washington DC group that had two releases on the AMC label, and this one shown was also issued on the Don Dee label - both on gold and an all black label. According to an interview I had with Kaye Krebs of the Pixies Three, they were planning to list themselves as the Pixies, until they found this group after performing an artist search. The record was largely unsuccessful, but a very good effort. You can also see some of the latest additions to my first and second pressings, if you have not visited the page in a while. Artists like Johnnie and Joe, the Tazmen, and the Tri Lads are the most recent. Next on my list to add is the Velvetones Glory Of Love, first issued on Aladdin and then Imperial.

.
From the pop oriented Point label, I found what appears to be Jo-Ann Campbell's first record called Where Ever You Go. It was issued on both promotional and regular stock copies, and is not a bad record. She went on to record a ton of records, including a few LP's. She performed on many New York area shows, and was a regular on Alan Freed's programs as well. The point label is interesting, but I suppose I find all labels that way. There were at least 11 issues in it's short life. The Pony tails, Marlena Karr, and Jeri Rene are discs in my collection. I actually have a video performance of Jeri Rene singing Go Way Joe on the Milt Grant show from 1957. It is quite an interesting performance that has to be heard/seen. As with many guest performances of the era, it was a live performer lip syncing their record.
.
Anybody ever heard of Ronney Scalair? I have a 45 on the Grand label of Philadelphia with the songs Lost And Found backed with Sylvy. The Grand label is part of a new series, and this has record number 2000. It was autographed to his "Buddy and sparing partner Rocky". Best I have found so far is from a CD titled Teen Town Volume 3, with a cut from a different record on the Dominant label, number 3000, called Ponytail. That was released in 1964. So, I gather he was a boxer and was likely from the Philadelphia area.
.


Comments:
Indeed, Ronney Scalair was from the Philadelphia area. I lived outside Philadelphia when this record was out and was very much into the Philly music scene. "Lost & Found" received a fair amount of airplay on several Philly-area radio stations, in 1957 or 1958, as I recall. (I was in high school when it came out). I don't remember it being played by Dick Clark on "American Bandstand," which no doubt doomed the record from breaking out nationally.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?