Brian's Music Musings: Johnny Flamingo, Sylvia promo, Gene Forrest

Sunday, March 09, 2008

 

Johnny Flamingo, Sylvia promo, Gene Forrest

On my quest to collect all of Johnny Flamingo's records (Mel Broxton/Melvin Moore), I recently found the LP that he made on Diadon It's full of mostly smooth, slow ballads that really showcase his voice. He was performing at a club called the Den, in Norwalk California at the time. I believe there was also a 45 released from the LP. So far, I have not seen an accurate, complete listing of all his records, but at some point I will assemble what I have and go forward with the most complete discography available to this point.

I added a promo 78 of "A Million Tears" to my Mickey and Sylvia site. It is unusual in my collection as it is a promo that has the same song on both sides from the early 1950's. In my collection of vinyl, I don't have an earlier example of a two sided promo 78, though I'm sure there are instances I am unaware of. I still have many Sylvia records to find, to make that page complete.

Also new to me is a 78 from Gene Forrest on the RPM label. Aching And Crying along with the flip can now be seen on my page for Gene And Eunice. He actually made a total of at least 5 records before Gene And Eunice. Three were on John Dolphin's Recorded In Hollywood label, and the other was on Aladdin showing the Four Feathers.

Hopefully, later this month I will have some news on some Nasco label records that should be interesting. Until they arrive at my house safely, I will keep you guessing. Come to think of it, they were supposed to be here a month ago, so I am actually still guessing!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?