Brian's Music Musings: Nasco 78's and Bullmoose Jackson

Sunday, March 16, 2008

 

Nasco 78's and Bullmoose Jackson



I added a few label shots to my Crescendos page that I find quite interesting. Not everyone collects 78's, and in my case, I certainly have far fewer than my 45's, but I am still an avid collector of them. It's just that I have a very selective list. I was able to find two, well actually three Nasco 78's that I didn't know existed. I'm sure If I can find them, there has to be a few more out there. It's safe to say that production was limited. It was mid to late 1958, so the hits were still being pressed on that fast format. How the record companies decided which artists were going to be included on 78 is not an easy answer. Was their last record big? Is this record showing some real promise, and are the juke operators needing some copies for their machines that still use 78's? Maybe the answer is all the above. I think the latter reason is why companies actually continued small runs of the 78 into 1960. On the left is the Crescendos follow-up to Oh Julie on a 78. I am also aware that a Candian press on Sparton was also made in limited quantities. Further, if you look at my page, you can see Janice Green's only Nasco record, Jackie, on a 78. I have not seen that one before either. Lastly, I bought the Monorays Nasco release, number 6020. I can't speak to how many were issued on 78, but now I wonder if the Crescendos last Nasco record, Young And In Love - issue 6021 - was also on a 78? It certainly was showing early signs of great airplay and sales, so...... maybe?
.
So I'm not a Bullmoose Jackson expert. I have some of the King singles, and have seen one on Queen. He also has a few issues on some other assorted labels like Warwick. I couldn't help getting a 78 on Encino called "Watch My Signals" backed with Understanding. It is one of two by him on the label. I have no immediate plans to collect all his recordings, but certainly like the ones I have. I think the first radio show I heard his work was on Dr. Demento in the early 70's. He really did have some funny songs. A basic site is at http://www.bullmoosejackson.com/



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?