Brian's Music Musings: Savage Rockin Girls,Rex Garvin,Gingersnaps

Sunday, March 23, 2008

 

Savage Rockin Girls,Rex Garvin,Gingersnaps

I gave the mailman a break this week, and packages with records inside were few and far between. That actually translates into no packages whatsoever. Of course, that doesn't stop me from looking. I go through periods of time where everything seems too expensive and I just don't buy anything. I did finally purchase a CD called Savage Rockin Girls. I was a little disappointed in the package as a whole. It had a few of the 35 cuts that were very good, but many were hard to figure out how they ever got on a record in the first place. For my ears, there is a difference between raw and hard to listen to. I do like the booklet which has pictures of many of the 45's featured on the package. If you still are thinking of buying it, I wouldn't spend more than 10 bucks on it.

Last night after my weekly radio show, I came home and interviewed Rex Garvin. He started with the Hearts on Baton in early 1955, was with "Miss Sanders" (Zell) at J+S records, and eventually had his own group, the Mighty Cravers. Interesting guy, but seems to talk about everybody but himself. He is proud of his work, but seems very humble. I hope to air that interview in April on KVMR-FM.

Has anybody ever heard of a group called the Gingersnaps - all one word? This girl group recorded Bald Headed Papa on the Wisconsin based Window records, and it appears to be the same group on the Jupiter label, also from Wisconsin. They are a little on the pop side, but very enjoyable. Maybe someone from the cheese state knows the skinny on that great girl group. See the picture below.


Comments:
Try Gary Myers of Downey. He posts on the MSN doo wop group and has written several books about all Wisconsin acts and records - very knowledgable about the state.

Rockinsteve
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?