Brian's Music Musings: Dave?5,Crescendos,web updates

Sunday, April 06, 2008

 

Dave?5,Crescendos,web updates

So, every now and then I laugh because of a typo on Ebay. I probably shouldn't because I make enough of them myself. It's true, I would be lost without spell check. Even on this blog. Two different sellers both with Dave Clark 5 records, posted within an hour of each other. As of this writing, Clock and Clack are still showing, and just made my day. Doesn't take much, eh?
.
Just a few minor updates this week to the color radio site. A 78 of Oscar McLollie's "All That Oil In Texas" was added to my page on him. I have quite a few of his records, but still not all of them. He certainly is one of my favorites, and if you have heard much of his music, you would understand why. He was a very prolific recording artist, mainly for the Modern and Class labels. He could croon a ballad, and belt out a jumper, with no problem. The Popular Five, who can be traced back to the Chords (Sh Boom), had a final recording on the Mister Chand label, and I added that promotional record. The label was a subsidiary of Mercury, but had the smiling face of Gene Chandler on it. Mister Chand - ahh, that's the connection. Of minor note, I added pictures of the red vinyl release of the Blue Jays record on Classic Artists. You just click on the label pictures. As was the case with most of the classic Artists releases, they were available in black and red vinyl versions.
.
I have gone back to researching my Crescendos page. I have two sources that show they backed up Lowell McGuire, so I will be adding that record soon. I have listened to most of the Nasco material for the label, and to my ears, Bobby Jenkins, "My Baby's Gone" sounds like it could be them. There only a few of the Nasco issues that had vocal groups backing a single artist, and the reason they used the Crescendos for McGuire was that they were available and I'm sure cheap. There is a vocal group backing Billy Fortune on Trapped, but does not really sound Crescendos-ish. I suppose I should also start looking (listening) at the Excello sides as well.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?