Brian's Music Musings: Glenville, Carl Dobkins Jr.,Rex Garvin

Sunday, April 20, 2008

 

Glenville, Carl Dobkins Jr.,Rex Garvin

Not too much new and of interest in the way of records this week, at least that would be interesting to most people. I always look for variations on some of the records on my web site, and even a different color on the label is interesting to me. I always thought the Jimmy Charles/Johnnie And Joe reissue on Glenville was just issued on an orange label, but it was also pressed up in pale blue. I suppose when things like that are important to me, I will never have everything, or even be close! The one exception to my "rule" is the Colonial label out of North Carolina. I have never seen so many variations of promo and stock issues on any label. And the order they are in is mind boggling.
.
Be on the lookout for a new Carl Dobkins Jr. CD in the next couple of months. I hope to interview him and help promote the disc on my radio show. I am excited to hear how it sounds and to know that Carl is still active with music.
.
Speaking of interviews, next Saturday on my radio show, I will air my interview with Rex Garvin. He is an interesting guy that is very proud of his history - and should be. He currently is not involved with music much, but is still actively working in another profession and is very happy. He was in the middle of everything back in the mid 1950's, and lived in Harlem.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?