Brian's Music Musings: Kuf-linx, Johnny Flamingo,Casa Grande, DJ Earl

Sunday, June 01, 2008

 

Kuf-linx, Johnny Flamingo,Casa Grande, DJ Earl

I have added a page for the Kuf-linx. The group had only had three releases using the name, but they were all great records. I have never seen a picture of the group before, so I used an old picture of members in a different group called the Jubalaires from the 1947. That is the first page I have added in quite a while, as other projects have gotten in the way.

Speaking of new pages, I am currently working on one for Johnny Flamingo. I am missing several records but have decided to go forward anyway. It's a page that I have wanted to do for a couple of years, and am just now making it happen. In the process, I am adding a couple discs by Jeanette Baker and Huggie Boy's record on Caddy. I will also include one of his LP's to the page.

There are a lot of radio shows out there playing the music of the 1950's and early 1960's. Mine happens to be on Saturday evenings from 4-6PM Pacific time on KVMR-FM. There are many shows on the east coast, but one of exceptional note is located in Florida. Check out DJ Earl (and Kristi) at talkstar 840. They are live at 1PM eastern on Sunday's, and it is repeated at 8PM eastern, also on Sunday's, streaming over the net. Earl knows his stuff, keeps the show moving, and plays some amazing records. Great radio!

I have always enjoyed the Tune Weavers on the Casa Grande label. Looking at a discography, I never realized just how many records the label made, likely in an effort to repeat their success with the Tune Weavers "Happy Happy Birthday Baby". I have a few of the other issues, and see there is a wide variety of music. From the great group sound of the Blends, to the pop stylings of Cu Beth, to the country twang of Don Hamilton and the Grandees. Something for everyone on the label, but they never scored as big as they did with the Tune Weavers.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?