Brian's Music Musings: Dick and DeeDee,Carl Dobkins Jr. Ahmet Ertegun

Sunday, August 17, 2008

 

Dick and DeeDee,Carl Dobkins Jr. Ahmet Ertegun


I think I could spend the rest of my natural life hunting down first and second pressings of records. Hmm, seems I am doing that as we speak! Some of them are obvious and well known. Others, not so much. I think of the Tri Lads on the Perspective label with "Cherry Pie" before ending up on Bullseye, Dart Ward, Bobby Jackson, and others. One obvious first and second pressing that totally got by me is Dick and DeeDee's "The Mountain's High" first on the Lama label, before finding it's way to Liberty. Pictured to the left, I will add that to my pages this week. There were also two other Lama issues for the Duo, including "Tell Me" and "Goodbye To Love. Original pressings of "Mountain" should look like the one pictured, and no distributed by Liberty mentioned on the label, like I have with my "Tell Me" issue. So how did I find out about this? I have to rewind to the Rockit Radio BBQ, and talking with Steve Propes and DeeDee herself, found out about it's existence.

Last night I aired my interview with Carl Dobkins Jr. He's a really nice guy with lots of great stories, and he has a brand new CD out. I played several of his vintage recordings and three from the new CD called "Cruising With Carl". Just click on the CD sales link. Eventually, I will get a page together for him, though it will take a while to get to my "complete" stage. I am starting to believe that a decent representation is much better than none at all.

With sadness we all learned about the passing of Jerry Wexler, Atlantic records producer, and collaborated with Ahmet Ertegun to become an amazing production team and had a great eye for talent. And that is an understatement. Atlantic records importance in the history of R+B, and music in general, cannot be stressed enough. A nice, but brief article can be seen here.

I am really backlogged with web site updates. I have some nice first and second pressings, and other artist records that I couldn't live without. Keep checking back for updates!



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?