Brian's Music Musings: Chubby Checker,Big John T-Bone, Rebels

Sunday, September 12, 2010

 

Chubby Checker,Big John T-Bone, Rebels

After about one year exactly, I am returning to my blog. I guess I ran out of ideas, and had several time consuming projects that just got in the way. I started using our studio "B" at KVMR-FM on my weekly radio show, and decided to get a load of music on my hard drive. About 25,000 songs later, I decided I had a load, but of course, never enough. I will start updating my web site pages (Lot's to do!) and I plan to start submitting corrections and additions to Osborne's Rockin Records before the end of the year.

In my absence, the blog with the most response, is the one concerning Roy Tan. Seems the mystery of Roy Tan continues. I'm still looking for credible information on who he is.

Last night, Chubby Checker came to my town, Grass Valley. Yep, we may be a small town on the map, but Chubby came and rocked the joint. An amazing and energetic show, he kept us entertained, worked the crowd and had amazing interaction. His band, the Wildcats, were top notch. Oh yeah, I got the chance of a lifetime - I introduced him to the crowd!

The first page on my list to update, was the Rockin Rebels et al. To the left, is a picture of the other label that the Russ Hallett trio recorded on, Vim records. I had the Phitom issue, but added this one. Vim was distributed by Clock, and both Vim and Phitom have the ZTSP Columbia products number on them. Which one came first? An argument could be said for both, but in reality, there are a lot more of the Phitom's then Vim's floating around. Aldo Brozzetti seemed to think he had a box of both labels when the record was issued. I am going with Vim first, until I can be proven incorrect. And that does happen sometimes! Also added were a Sparton recording of Big John Little, another record by him with Fern Dauth on the Spurline label, likely issued in the 1980's. Two different Thunderbirds records from the W&G label out of Australia were added. One is the later release of their "Wild Weekend" and the other is an original 6 song EP also on W&G. Finally, a nicer copy of the Bubbles record- also a copy that actually plays the Rockin Crickets record (See web page for details) and a Pye label release of Rockin Crickets. And yes, I know I am still missing some records on this page, it keeps me looking for them!

What's next? I don't even know for sure.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?