Brian's Music Musings: First and second titles, group names.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

 

First and second titles, group names.


I have a new page, well, not exactly new, but I never put a link to it on my home page. It is a small page in comparison to some of my artist pages, but is fun. It shows records that had two different titles. Usually the first title was only pressed for a short time because someone had a problem with it. Maybe it was misspelled, said the wrong thing, or they deemed a different title more appropriate. I have a lucky 13 examples on the page, though I'm sure I will add a few as time goes on. "Church Bells Are Ringing" is probably one of the best known examples of title changes. It was clearly an incorrect title based on the lyrics of the song. Both 78's and 45's were pressed with this boofoo, and Melba records quickly fixed the error. A couple I have listed are not quite as well known. The Royal Teens "Shamrock Hop" is an odd one that I accidentally discovered, and the Bill Smith/Charlie and the Jives was another accidental discovery which is fairly interesting. In my future, I will create a page or split this one and add groups that had two names, with the same song. Perhaps a few liberties will be taken.

Speaking of such, one of the record that fits the above criteria is the 5 Chanels. Their song "The Reason" was issued first as the Chanels, then as the 5 Chanels. Based on my limited information so far, the group was from Harrisburg PA, and Sharon Scott was the lead singer. They were also known as Virgil and the Four Channels - Waiting / Don't Keep It To Yourself (Deb 508) -"The Reason" was released in 1958 and just got to #98 on the Billboard charts. The appearance was brief as it only stayed one week.

Also on my agenda is to post a few Chubby Checker pictures from last week's concert, and put on his first 3 records.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?