Brian's Music Musings: The Victors,Ribbon records, the Mark IV

Sunday, September 26, 2010

 

The Victors,Ribbon records, the Mark IV

Last night on my radio show at KVMR-FM, I featured segments of my interview with Richard Mayer, former member of the Victors which featured Hugh Barrett. He was on the recording of Fungus Among Us on the Madison label, in 1962. You can listen to the first hour of the show or you can listen to the entire interview. Terry Noland first recorded the song in 1958 for Brunswick, and then re-released it in 1961 to coincide with the Victors issue, which gained popularity in the Midwest. Also played was the follow up "Devils Love", a song by Chuck Baker who was a member of the group, and an instrumental by Bobby Angel and the Hillsiders called Submarine Race.

My interest in the Ribbon label is probably unfounded and accidental. The best known group on the label were the Fireflies, but there were a number of really great artists/songs including Berlin Perry and the Gleams, the Scott Brothers, and a pretty decent teener by Frank Gari. That was actually my latest acquisition in my now apparently finish to running the label. There are two Ribbon numbers that are not accounted for - 6907 and 6912. All 4 of my sources show these "empty", but I also realize sometimes sources and publications tend to borrow information from one another. In any case, unless those numbers are shown with a legitimate release, I will figure I have all known issues on Ribbon. Still, that only means a total of 12 records.

Always on the lookout for odd 78's, or at least odd to me. The Mark IV had a fun two sider that featured Make With The Shake and 45 RPM. Originally released on the Cosmic label, they pressed a bunch of 45's in March of 1958, and certainly as shown on the right, some 78's. Canadian issues were on Reo - both 45 and 78. Probably not considered a real late 78 by most, but certainly a fun one that doesn't show up all the time.




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?