Brian's Music Musings: Decastro Sisters, fun flip, KVMR

Sunday, October 10, 2010

 

Decastro Sisters, fun flip, KVMR


Have you ever run across a record that has taken you years to find, and wonder why? You look at the records books, and it the value shown is generous by showing 10-20 bucks. Then you wonder, if that's so, where are all the records? Why have I only seen one in 5 years of searching? Is everybody keeping their copy just so I can't buy one? I know they are out there.
Such is the case with a record I bought about a year ago. Still have not added it to my site, but thought I would at least add the picture here. The De Castro Sisters are probably not the world's most collectible artist, but they had a great sound. "The Wedding Song" just does not show up for sale much. I bought the one copy I saw. They put the previously issued I'm Bewildered on the flip Abbott 3002). I wonder if the DJ's saw that side, thought it was the plug side, and tossed it.? After all, they already spun I'm Bewildered earlier. Maybe that would explain the sticker on the promo copy shown, so the DJ's would play the intended side. Who knows? I do know there are other copies out there, they just don't come up for sale much. If you had a mint copy, I'd buy it for 10-20 bucks.

I love listening to the flipsides of records. Sometimes you know it's a filler, and not much thought went into the song. Even some of those can surprise you. Then you have the records that really didn't have another side by the artist on the "A" side, and they either put a different artist on the flip, or they just slapped an instrumental on by either the label house band or maybe the band from the A side. There are a lot of gems out there. I am rediscovering them all the time. The latest for me is the flip of Russian Bandstand. A great instrumental called Brass Wail, is on the flip.

I'm on a small hiatus from my radio show this month, or at least most of it. Next week John Rumsey hosts, and the following week it's Little Angel B at the controls. Always good to take a break every now and then.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?