Brian's Music Musings: Victors, Virtues - Blues in the ????

Sunday, October 03, 2010

 

Victors, Virtues - Blues in the ????

In a couple of days I will have a new page on my website with some great pictures and a stories concerning Hugh Barrett and the Victors. The info comes from an original member of the Victors, Richard Mayer. I mentioned the interview in last week's blog and shared the interview links there. Richard has allowed me to use some great pictures of the group, and all of them will be seen for the first time on the WWW. Richard lost track of the other members of the group, so I am hoping that some of them will see themselves and contact me. Go to www.colorradio.com for the link.

I have always been a bit confused by a record that the instrumental group, the Virtues ,released in 1959. The "A: side was Vaya Con Dios, per the Billboard ads that were promoting it. The original issue was on the Hunt label, and then issued on ABC for the wide distribution. My issue was on the flip side. My Hunt label has it listed as Blues In The Night. One of the writers included Frank Virtuoso, who was the man behind the Virtues. It was not the Harold Arlen composed song, but in fact their own composition. I suppose that is not so unusual to have two different songs with the same name, there are likely hundreds of examples. What was interesting to me is that ABC sent out promotional copies with "Blues In The Night" and they erased out the word night, and used a stamper to add "Cellar". Stock copies appear to all have Night on them. Sooo, how many promotional copies got out without the correction? Or did they fix them all?






Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?